Getting Rid Of Mold Before You Sell
First of all, whether you are selling your home or not, you need to deal with any mold you see right away. It could be damaging to your health to leave it. That said, if you are selling it is about even more than just good health. It is about actually getting what you are asking for your home.
If you see some mold when inspecting the house, it is imperative that you create a safe and complete plan for its removal.
If there is a fair bit of mold you should call in a professional, if however, it is a small area, less than 10 feet by 10 feet you could do it yourself if you are so inclined.
Here are the steps to getting rid of mold before you sell:
- Always wear a facemask, goggles as well as rubber gloves. Never let mold touch your bare skin.
- Seal the area well before you start. This will help to keep the mold spores from spreading as you work.
- Open any windows in the room and cover all heat registers and vents.
- Wash any moldy hard surfaces with a mix of laundry detergent and water.
- Wipe down the area with a quarter cup of bleach to one quart of water. Never mix ammonia and bleach, they react together and can create a toxic gas.
- Dry the surface thoroughly. You can even set up some fans and dehumidifiers.
- Now apply a borate-based detergent but do not rinse it off. This will keep mold from growing back.
- If you see that the mold grows back or that it has spread to other areas of the home, call a professional.
Now that you have the mold problem in your house under control it is time to start planning the actual move. If you haven’t yet considered choosing DIY movers like Valet Storage over traditional ones, it is time to start.
We will come to your home, just like regular movers, only we will drive your items to storage for you. There we will catalog your boxes and when it is time for you to want something back, just let us know and we will bring it to your new home. It’s as easy as that.
To set up an appointment or to talk to one of our friendly customer service representatives, give us a call today!